Skip to main content

Michael Banks - Five Way Interview

Michael Banks is a science writer and author and is currently news editor of Physics World magazine. As well as Physics World, he has written for Nature, BBC Focus and Science Uncovered as well as appeared on BBC Radio 4 and at science festivals. His first book The Secret Science of Baby was published in 2022 and his new book is Physics Around the Clock.

Why science?

I only became really interested in science when I was around 15 years old - and to be honest I don’t really know why I preferred physics over the other sciences. I think I saw it as a challenge given the perception that the subject is difficult. But the more I studied physics, the more fascinating it became. I then chose to study physics at university and that’s when I became really hooked.

I found it particularly captivating how mathematics could be used to describe and understand the natural world. It could not only describe various phenomenon but also be used to predict things that then subsequently went on to be discovered – I found that concept mind blowing.

Why this book?

I’ve always been interested in science that is relatable to everyday life. It’s one reason why I wrote my first book – The Secret Science of Baby – which is all about the surprising physics you encounter during pregnancy, childbirth and even babyhood itself. 

Physics Around the Clock looks at the science you might unknowingly come across during the day, whether that is when making a coffee, taking the dog out for a walk or when pottering around in the garden. With this book I really wanted to get across that physics isn’t just an abstract subject about subatomic particles or cosmic black holes but is something that is all around us and relevant to most things we do day in, day out. 

What I really hope is that readers get a fresh perspective on everyday situations and look at these occurrences in a completely different light – even a falling water droplet from a dripping tap in the bath is full of rich and interesting physics. 

I was surprised by the electrical clumping of coffee grinding - was there anything that took you by surprise when researching these items?

Yes, the clumping of coffee grounds that occurs during grinding is interesting, not only because it happens in the first place but also as it affects how much coffee is extracted from the ground beans. Adding a drop of water can stop it from happening and also produce a more consistent and better brew. 

Another aspect I found interesting was the ejection of liquid droplets when flushing a toilet. All that chaotic motion in the cistern results in small particles shooting out, reaching face height within seconds. Such droplets were found to travel many meters in the air and in the process potentially distribute pathogens across the room – onto floors, walls and even the ceiling. 

Now you might think ah, simple, just close the lid before flushing, but research has found this isn’t the case. In fact, it can result in more stuff spreading onto the floor and walls. It’s certainly made me ponder bathroom cleanliness – and perhaps think about placing your toothbrush far away from the toilet, or better still, hide it away in a cupboard!  

What’s next?

On the immediate horizon, I have a public talk in London on 29 October at the Institute of Physics where I will be discussing the book. Longer term, Physics Around the Clock will be published in the US in April 2026 and there will also be Chinese translations – both traditional and simplified Chinese - later that year.

What’s exciting you at the moment? 

I have an idea for another physics-based popular-science book, which I think would be really interesting and fun to research and write. At the moment, it only exists in my head, but I am slowly starting to think about how to approach it, so watch this space!

These articles will always be free - but if you'd like to support my online work, consider buying a virtual coffee or taking out a membership:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ignorance: How it drives science – Stuart Firestein *****

This is a delightful little book that really gets you thinking. I stress the ‘little’ part not as a negative, but as a good thing. There is nothing worse than fat, bloated popular science books where the author feels they have to get 120,000 words to be taken seriously. This is the sort of book that can be read in a couple of hours – but you will get so much more out of it than one of those tedious doorstops. The premise underlying the book is in once sense extremely simple, yet is fundamental to an understanding of what science is and what scientists do. And it is an understanding that is totally at odds with the typical way science is portrayed both in university lectures and popular science books. As Stuart Firestein points out, what is important is not the facts, but rather the area of ignorance. The interesting part and the fundamental heart of science is not about what we know, but about what we don’t know and where we want to look next. Take this lovely quote: ‘Working ...

The Star Book – Peter Grego ****

This attractive landscape format book combines an excellent introduction to the stars and basic astronomy with a set of star maps, plus in depth looks at some of the stars featured, with a  bonus section on the solar system. Amazon says it’s a hardback, but in fact it’s a paperback with a rather ingenious cover – you can’t tell from the photo, but the words ‘The Star Book’ are punched through as a series of holes that show the white paper of the next page beneath. Like many astronomy/space books, the cover lacks shelf appeal because it is mostly black, but at least there is some original thought here. Unlike many books in this format which tend to concentrate on the pictures, there is a good deal of excellent text by Peter Grego, so there was no feeling that you were only getting the star maps and star ‘biographies’, something these days much more suited to an iPad or smartphone app. Instead, the opening 30 or so pages give a very good introduction that would be valuable to ...

Who Invented the Computer? – Ian Watson

Ian Watson is the author of  The Universal Machine  and featured in a recent  Four Way Interview . Saturday June 23 2012 was the centenary of the birth of Alan Turing, the troubled genius who invented the modern computer. Why though do so few people recognize his name and his great achievements? In 1936 English mathematician Alan Turing, published a paper,  On Computable Numbers, with an application to the Entscheidungsproblem . This became the foundation of computing. In it Turing presented a theoretical machine that could solve any problem that could be described by instructions encoded on a paper tape. A Turing Machine could calculate square roots, whilst another might solve Sudoku puzzles. Turing demonstrated you could construct a single  Universal Machine  that could simulate any Turing Machine. One machine solving any problem for which a program could be written – sound familiar? He’d invented the computer. Then,  computers  were peop...