Skip to main content

Discordance - Jim Baggott ****

Jim Baggott is one of the most reliable hands in the business when it comes to exploring complex physics and cosmology issues in an approachable but never over-simplified fashion, so a new Baggott on the shelves is always a treat. For reasons I'll go into in a moment, while the explanation here is as lucid and interesting as possible, I found the topic a little underwhelming.

The topic Discordance covers is the Hubble tension - the reality that there are two ways of measuring the Hubble constant that describes the rate of expansion of the universe, both of which are based on solid science, but which don't agree. Admittedly, the distinction is only seven per cent, but in theory they should converge, and as Baggott makes clear, although both of the measurement methods have potential issues, if the tension proves genuine, it puts the most widely accepted version of the Big Bang theory in jeopardy. 

The book starts with historical material on how we measure distances in space, the theory behind and discovery of the expanding universe, and the various errors and disagreements between scientists along the way, going right back to whether the Milky Way was just one of many galaxies, or the whole universe. As things develop, we also get introduced to the cosmic microwave background radiation, which provides the second way of measuring the Hubble constant after the red-shifting of galaxies at known distances (where 'known' always has a degree of uncertainty). There's also coverage of the dark energy thought to be causing the acceleration of expansion, and even dark matter that has a more indirect involvement. Finally, we look to the future of where we go from here and the potential for new physics to explain what is happening.

My agent always used to say 'Is it a book or is it a magazine article?' This topic is definitely more than an article, but I felt it might have been better as a couple of chapters of a book. The elements are interesting and the ongoing split between different ways of measuring the constant is intriguing. But too much of what was involved was getting more or less accurate measurements for absolute stellar magnitude, establishing safe standard candles, reaching accurate numbers on expansion rate/acceleration and the like. It's true that lots of scientific work is, frankly, boring repetitive slog. And we perhaps don't see enough of this in popular science. But despite all of Baggott's skill, it's hard to make this too engaging.

Don't get me wrong, this is a really good book - far better than much of the popular science I read. I'm glad I read it and while the historical material and that on dark matter/energy was very familiar, some of the more recent attempts to explain away the Hubble tension and its implications for the canonic Big Bang theory was new in the detail and of genuine interest. But the overall subject, for me, simply wasn't ideal for book-length treatment. 

Hardback:   
Kindle 
Using these links earns us commission at no cost to you
These articles will always be free - but if you'd like to support my online work, consider buying a virtual coffee or taking out a membership:
Review by Brian Clegg - See all Brian's online articles or subscribe to a weekly email free here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mathematics with Love – Mary Stopes-Roe *****

Admittedly it’s early days (this review is written in January), but this, for me, is the surprise hit of the year so far! I approached this book with trepidation, but found it absolutely delightful. It is described on the cover as the “courtship correspondence of Barnes Wallis, inventor of the bouncing bomb”, and contains a series of letters between Wallis and his cousin and eventual wife Molly Bloxham, along with some useful annotation by their daughter, Mary. The courtship itself is not without difficulties, as Wallis was 18 years older than the 17-year-old Molly at the start of the correspondence, and her father, not surprisingly, wasn’t too pleased about the interest of such an elderly suitor, but that isn’t the only reason the letters are interesting – it’s also because of maths, and Wallis’s position in the UK as the engineering hero of the Second World War. (Incidentally, it seemed very strange to see letters addressed to “Barnes” – I had always assumed Barnes Wallis was a ...

Data Empire - Roopika Risam ****

The central thesis presented by Roopika Risam is that information gives us (and particularly countries) the power to organise, control and dominate others. Although I have a couple of issues with the presentation, this is a genuinely interesting trip through the history of our use of stored information from the earliest tallies to the latest information technology. I loved a quote from Lisa Gitelman that data is is always 'cooked' so 'raw data is an oxymoron'. This neatly underlines Risam's thesis that data and information are not neutral facts, but rather tools that (like everything from fire to electronics) can be used for good or evil. As we are taken through the historical context, it can sometimes be a little difficult to judge whether Risam regards a particular example as bad or good, even when the outcome is disastrous. One thing I didn't like too much is the adherence to a popular science writing approach that has got distinctly hackneyed: opening chapte...

Andrew Jaffe - Five way interview

Andrew Jaffe is professor of astrophysics and cosmology at Imperial College, London and director of the Imperial Centre for Inference and Cosmology. His new book is The Random Universe. Why science? I’ve always been interested in science, in particular in  astronomy, astrophysics, and space. One of my earliest memories - back in nursery school in New Jersey, I think - was watching one of the moon launches. I wanted that excitement to be part of my life! I never got to be an astronaut, but I did get to be part of the Planck Satellite team, and was privileged to be able to travel to the ESA Spaceport in French Guiana to watch the launch.  In between, I was lucky enough to have a supportive family, get a good education, and find inspiring teachers, mentors, and collaborators. They helped me model the universe, and helped me learn how to refine those models in the face of experimental and observational evidence. That is, they taught me to be a scientist. Why this book? The Random...