Skip to main content

The Three-Body Problem (SF) - Cixin Liu ***

I'm reviewing this book at the suggestion of one of my Buy me a Coffee supporters. I put off reading it for quite a while due to a perverse aversion to reading a book, or watching a TV show, that everyone is raving about... but I had to submit in the end, and I'm glad I did. There are elements of the book I loved, and aspects that really grated.

What was brilliant was Cixin Liu's evocation of the impact of the Cultural Revolution in China on academics. The character whose life threads through the book, Ye Wenjie, an astrophysicist who witnesses her father's murder by Red Guards is remarkable and I would have been happy reading a straight lab lit novel of her experiences without the aspect of alien contact that takes over the plot. When I was at school, a young history teacher got in trouble by getting all the class to obtain a copy of the Little Red Book - learning about this period in China is one of the few details I remember from school history.

I was also impressed with the way that initially Liu brings in plenty of real science. I was thinking of commenting that this wasn't just SF, it was SCIENCE fiction until reading further. And much of the book is very readable. But there were also those issues.

Firstly, long chunks of the book feature a character's experience in a weird virtual reality game, called Three Body, of which the significance is not revealed until well into the book (so I won't give it away here). I found these sections tedious in the extreme - it was far too much like listening to someone's detailed description of their dreams. 

Then there was the underlying premise of alien contact and future invasion of the Earth. Of course, this has featured many times in science fiction, and Liu makes it different and interesting by factoring in the sheer length of time it's going to take the alien fleet to arrive at Earth. For that matter, the consideration of whether or not we ought to make aliens aware of our existence is always interesting. But the driving factor here of people hating humanity so much they want aliens to destroy us, or naively think, with no evidence whatsoever, that the aliens will be beneficial and sort out our problems for us, didn't work for me.

There were also some technical issues. I would overlook the history of science error of reading far more into the cosmic background radiation than would have been known in the 1960s. But I wasn't happy about employing the classic quantum entanglement fallacy of thinking that it can be used to send instantaneous messages (it can only send random values), and simply couldn't engage with the idea that two protons could be used to produce mass illusions and to give the appearance of adding randomness to the laws of physics. (Also if this randomness had happened, the physicists would surely be talking about Noether's theorem, which isn't mentioned.)

A final moan concerns the understanding three body problem itself - central to the plot. The assumption in the book seems to be that this classic gravitational interaction problem, where three or more bodies interacting become chaotic is intractable. In reality, while absolute complete solutions are impossible, we can produce very good approximate solutions - so the idea of pure chaotic unpredictability that lies at the heart of the book doesn't make sense. For example, our solar system is a far more than three body problem, yet we can predict orbits thousands of years into the future. Yes, there's some uncertainty. So, for instance, current modelling gives Mercury a 1% chance of leaving its orbit and hitting Venus in the next few billion years. But we have no problem making good predictions of what will happen in the shorter term.

I don't think I'm going to bother with the follow up books. It was an interesting read - but didn't work as well for me as it clearly has for many readers.

Paperback:   
Kindle:  
Using these links earns us commission at no cost to you
These articles will always be free - but if you'd like to support my online work, consider buying a virtual coffee:
Review by Brian Clegg - See all Brian's online articles or subscribe to a weekly email free here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Nobody Understands Quantum Physics - Frank Verstraete and Céline Broeckaert **

It's with a heavy heart that I have to say that I could not get on with this book. The structure is all over the place, while the content veers from childish remarks to unexplained jargon. Frank Versraete is a highly regarded physicist and knows what he’s talking about - but unfortunately, physics professors are not always the best people to explain physics to a general audience and, possibly contributed to by this being a translation, I thought this book simply doesn’t work. A small issue is that there are few historical inaccuracies, but that’s often the case when scientists write history of science, and that’s not the main part of the book so I would have overlooked it. As an example, we are told that Newton's apple story originated with Voltaire. Yet Newton himself mentioned the apple story to William Stukeley in 1726. He may have made it up - but he certainly originated it, not Voltaire. We are also told that ‘Galileo discovered the counterintuitive law behind a swinging o...

How to Keep a Plane in the Sky - Alex Davies ****

If there's one big gap in the science writing sphere, it's popular engineering (you can quibble over whether engineering is science, but where else would you put popular engineering?). Alex Davies does the field a real service with this insightful introduction to the world of test engineering. The concept is simple. If we build something and sell it, we need to test it to make sure that it won't fail in a way that's dangerous to the consumer. The most obvious example is airliners, which feature at some length, but this applies to everything from cuddly toys to hair straighteners: someone needs to predict what could go wrong and to put the product through its paces to see if it will survive under any reasonable circumstances. When Davies is telling a story of test engineering in action, the book is a delight. He opens with the way that real bears are used to test if bears can get into coolers and trash cans - and the impressive ways these animals can  circumvent human in...

On the Equality of All Things - Carlo Rovelli ****

There is a wide gulf between the worldviews of physicists and philosophers. Many physicists present a rather sweetly naive, child-like view of the world, where philosophers bring a distinctly more adult, cynical tone. This being the case, it can be a little worrying when a physicist dips a toe into the philosophical mire. Infamously, in The Grand Design , Stephen Hawking and co-author Leonard Mlodinow told us that philosophy was now dead because science could deal with anything it had previously been needed for. Thankfully, Carlo Rovelli is not trying to do away with philosophy, though it has to be said that when he veers into the topic that physicist's naivety can make it feel like the philosophising of an earnest eighteen-year-old. Take the opening paragraph, which tells us 'electrons and minds, stones and laws, judgements and galaxies do not essentially differ in nature from one another. They are notions that illuminate each other'. I almost expected a Pink Floyd soundtr...