Skip to main content

Enjoyment is Breaking News - Jennifer Hoewe ***

Something that struck me very early on when reading this book was the statement 'The evolution of the new media environment, particularly in the United States, has encouraged a shift for consuming news with the goal of becoming better informed to turning to news for enjoyment.' Only a day or two before I had been listening to a discussion between a couple of friends about how they hated the news these days because it was so miserable. Hardly a source of enjoyment.

There is, without doubt an age factor here. These were middle-aged people who, like me, would never think of going to TikTok or Instagram for news. Personally, I've abandoned TV news for news websites (partly because you can get the information far quicker than a boring old bulletin). But given that I am neither American nor of the key age group for newsertainment (my word, not Jennifer Hoewe's) reading this book was rather like reading a sociology text about tribespeople from a totally different culture.

While I'm generally sympathetic to Hoewe's thesis, some aspects of the analysis seem to jar. She comments that in response to the entertainment focus of TV 'Many viewers succumbed to the temptation of channeling time once spent learning and becoming informed about the world into time spent consuming media content designed to entertain.' It gives a picture of a very earnest population, cramming lifetime learning into their hours not spent working or looking after the family - but apart a quick look at a newspaper or TV news half hour, weren't most of us already finding entertainment to fill our spare time, if in different ways?

Hoewe's description of the breakdown of US news thanks to cable news channels and their successors, driven more by profit (and hence a drive towards entertainment) makes sense, and perhaps also underlines a big difference with, say, the UK, where, while TV news is certainly in decline, it's the public service news broadcasters BBC, ITV and Channel 4 that still dominate the TV-based picture.

Inevitably a major factor here is the ability of social media to deliver forms of news into a self-reinforcing bubble where we can get more and more of the input that reinforces our beliefs without challenging them. This does come across strongly in the book, though oddly elsewhere the biggest driver of such social media reinforcement is often said to be triggering rage rather than enjoyment. This didn't come across in Hoewe's analysis to the same extent.

As always with this kind of topic it's a lot easier to come up with a description of the problems than it is to provide solutions. Hoewe attempts this, though I wasn't entirely convinced by them, especially when she decided that practising mindfulness (surely as much a twenty-first century curse as is newsertainment) was a significant way that news consumers could do better. Not a book that's going to set the world on fire, but some worthwhile, if rather laboured points.

Paperback:   
Kindle:  
Using these links earns us commission at no cost to you
These articles will always be free - but if you'd like to support my online work, consider buying a virtual coffee or taking out a membership:
Review by Brian Clegg - See all our online articles or subscribe to a weekly email free here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Nobody Understands Quantum Physics - Frank Verstraete and Céline Broeckaert **

It's with a heavy heart that I have to say that I could not get on with this book. The structure is all over the place, while the content veers from childish remarks to unexplained jargon. Frank Versraete is a highly regarded physicist and knows what he’s talking about - but unfortunately, physics professors are not always the best people to explain physics to a general audience and, possibly contributed to by this being a translation, I thought this book simply doesn’t work. A small issue is that there are few historical inaccuracies, but that’s often the case when scientists write history of science, and that’s not the main part of the book so I would have overlooked it. As an example, we are told that Newton's apple story originated with Voltaire. Yet Newton himself mentioned the apple story to William Stukeley in 1726. He may have made it up - but he certainly originated it, not Voltaire. We are also told that ‘Galileo discovered the counterintuitive law behind a swinging o...

On Time - Jim Al-Khalili *****

By a small margin Jim Al-Khalili's The World According to Physics is my favourite of his books, both because the 'three pillars' concept at its heart works so well - but also because it's short. On Time is somewhat heavier, but thankfully not a wrist-buster. It might seem at first sight odd that a book on a subset of physics is considerably longer than one covering the whole thing, but time is one of those subjects that inevitably involves considerable complexities and needs depth. As Al-Khalili establishes, it's hard to think of any other scientific concept where our perception of it - what he refers to as manifest time or psychological time - is so different from the view from physics. Some physicists go so far as to suggest that time doesn't exist at all. In the book, Al-Khalili sets out (to my mind quite successfully) both to explain why they think this is the case, but also why it's not the best interpretation of time. I'd certainly note that I...

When Everyone Knows That Everyone Knows: Steven Pinker *****

In the past I've found Steven Pinker's books hypnotic - I drift along enjoying the words and feeling I'm getting something deep from it without anything much sinking in. This one was different - it was sometimes a little harder to get your head around the underlying concept, descending as it tends to into infinite regression, but overall I did feel I'd gained a lot.  Pinker's focus here is 'common knowledge' which is when not only do we both/all know something, but we know that the other(s) know as well and the implications this has for human interactions. One entertaining thing to emerge from this is the ability to get into infinite loops of the 'I know that you know that I know that...' variety. Although we aren't mentally equipped to deal with more than a handful of iterations, we are told that a simple but limited interaction like a text exchange strictly needs the full infinite set to be definitive. For example, if you and a friend are tryin...