Skip to main content

Caleb Scharf - Five Way Interview

Caleb Scharf received the 2022 Carl Sagan Medal while director of astrobiology at Columbia University and is currently the senior scientist for astrobiology at NASA’s Ames Research Center. He has written several previous books and is a frequent contributor to Scientific American and Nautilus magazine. He divides his time between Silicon Valley and New York City. His new book is The Giant Leap: Why Space is the Next Frontier in the Evolution of Life.

Why science?

I still feel the sense of great wonder at the world that I did as a child. For me science isn’t about some harsh, clinical deconstruction of things, it’s a type of contemplative discipline that amplifies that wonder and helps create a better sense of connection to this vast, crazy, messy universe we’re part of. I also love toying with ideas and asking questions, and I’m in awe of all the ways we humans continue to invent to help answer those questions. 

Why this book?

I said to my agent that I wanted to write a book to 'nerd out' about space exploration and tell many of the stories that get less attention: about early attempts, robotic missions, technology, and the science revolutions of planets and moons and asteroids. She told me I needed to do more than that if anyone was ever going to read it! 

I realized that there’s a special perspective on space exploration that comes from examining the 'big picture' for life, like us, that learns to break free of its point of origin. That examination became the core of the book, using all the other stories as evidence. I wanted to show the connections between breakthroughs in human thought and space exploration, as well as the parallels and lessons from enterprises like Darwin’s voyage on the Beagle and his eventual formulation of a theory of biological evolution. That theory also turned around and changed the course of evolution on Earth, and I think space exploration is doing something similar right now.

Technology is clearly part of our evolutionary development, but is it possible that AI rather than space is the next frontier in the evolution of life?

I think it could be both things, a melding of extraordinary developments. Space exploration is already highly dependent on robotics and computing but will be even more dependent in the future as we spread ever more across the solar system and attempt more remote and ambitious types of exploration. AI is likely central to that and, in turn, space may drive new kinds of AI. We’re seeing this with talk of AI data centres in space, and large-model AI is starting to play a role in accelerating the development and operation of space missions. I think AI could be key to allowing life on Earth to overcome its biological limitations in space by becoming our space-worthy avatars for many things.

What’s next?

The physicist Niels Bohr said that prediction is very difficult, especially if it’s about the future! But I think we’re going to see more robust activity in space that is about building an extended space economy. That already exists in terms of data, from GPS to satellite imaging, but next will be a shift towards activities that have interdependencies similar to how Earth’s economies do. Resources in solar power and compounds like lunar water are connected. Computing in space and the needs of other space activities are connected. I hope also this creates opportunities for science, making it far easier to explore or build telescopes to look out into the cosmos.

What’s exciting you at the moment?

I’m very keen to see what we can do with certain types of AI and machine learning to advance science. I know it’s almost a cliché at this point, and there is a lot of confusion out there, but algorithms like the very large AI models already being used for many tasks are remarkably good at learning the structures or features in data that elude humans. We’re beginning to see the possibilities for mathematical research, physics, and challenges like protein structure predictions. My day job is astrobiology, searching for life in the universe, and I think AI could enhance our ability to sense and decode the many, many dimensions of life’s properties in the world, from molecular behavior to energy use, and evolution. Can we build the right kind of AI and let it go look for life on Mars or elsewhere?

Photo © Nerissa Enscanlar

These articles will always be free - but if you'd like to support my online work, consider buying a virtual coffee or taking out a membership:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Nobody Understands Quantum Physics - Frank Verstraete and Céline Broeckaert **

It's with a heavy heart that I have to say that I could not get on with this book. The structure is all over the place, while the content veers from childish remarks to unexplained jargon. Frank Versraete is a highly regarded physicist and knows what he’s talking about - but unfortunately, physics professors are not always the best people to explain physics to a general audience and, possibly contributed to by this being a translation, I thought this book simply doesn’t work. A small issue is that there are few historical inaccuracies, but that’s often the case when scientists write history of science, and that’s not the main part of the book so I would have overlooked it. As an example, we are told that Newton's apple story originated with Voltaire. Yet Newton himself mentioned the apple story to William Stukeley in 1726. He may have made it up - but he certainly originated it, not Voltaire. We are also told that ‘Galileo discovered the counterintuitive law behind a swinging o...

How to Keep a Plane in the Sky - Alex Davies ****

If there's one big gap in the science writing sphere, it's popular engineering (you can quibble over whether engineering is science, but where else would you put popular engineering?). Alex Davies does the field a real service with this insightful introduction to the world of test engineering. The concept is simple. If we build something and sell it, we need to test it to make sure that it won't fail in a way that's dangerous to the consumer. The most obvious example is airliners, which feature at some length, but this applies to everything from cuddly toys to hair straighteners: someone needs to predict what could go wrong and to put the product through its paces to see if it will survive under any reasonable circumstances. When Davies is telling a story of test engineering in action, the book is a delight. He opens with the way that real bears are used to test if bears can get into coolers and trash cans - and the impressive ways these animals can  circumvent human in...

On the Equality of All Things - Carlo Rovelli ****

There is a wide gulf between the worldviews of physicists and philosophers. Many physicists present a rather sweetly naive, child-like view of the world, where philosophers bring a distinctly more adult, cynical tone. This being the case, it can be a little worrying when a physicist dips a toe into the philosophical mire. Infamously, in The Grand Design , Stephen Hawking and co-author Leonard Mlodinow told us that philosophy was now dead because science could deal with anything it had previously been needed for. Thankfully, Carlo Rovelli is not trying to do away with philosophy, though it has to be said that when he veers into the topic that physicist's naivety can make it feel like the philosophising of an earnest eighteen-year-old. Take the opening paragraph, which tells us 'electrons and minds, stones and laws, judgements and galaxies do not essentially differ in nature from one another. They are notions that illuminate each other'. I almost expected a Pink Floyd soundtr...