Skip to main content

Target Earth – Govert Schilling *****

I was biased in favour of this great little book even before I started to read it, simply because it’s so short. I’m sure that a lot of people who buy popular science books just want an overview and taster of a subject that’s brand new to them – and that’s likely to work best if the author keeps it short and to the point. Of course, you may want to dig deeper in areas that really interest you, but that’s what Google is for.

That basic principle aside, I’m still in awe at how much substance Govert Schilling has managed to cram into this tiny book. It’s essentially about all the things (natural things, I mean, not UFOs or space junk) that can end up on Earth after coming down from outer space. That ranges from the microscopically small particles of cosmic dust that accumulate in our gutters, all the way up to the ten kilometre wide asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs. Between these extremes are two topics that we’ve reviewed entire books about recently: meteorites (The Meteorite Hunters) and ‘city-killer’ asteroids (How to Kill an Asteroid). Schilling’s book is little more than half the length of either of those, yet he still manages to include entertaining, information-packed introductions to both topics.

Another thing I have to confess is that, although I’ve often written about this subject myself, I still learned quite a few new things from this book. For example, it’s not really true to say (as I’m afraid I have done, in the past) that a meteor trail is caused by an inbound meteoroid ‘burning up’ in the atmosphere. Actually the meteoroid evaporates rather than burns, and the glowing trail is caused by excited gas molecules in the air, not the meteoroid itself. These may sound like minor points, but they get the science right – as popular science writing ought to – rather than mangling it into a more easily digestible but not-quite-correct form.

The media, or at any rate the tabloids, never tire of trying to scare us out of our wits with dire warnings about some new asteroid threat or another. But the truth is there’s almost never any serious cause for alarm – perhaps not so surprising, given that in the whole of human history the total number of confirmed fatalities caused by meteorite impact is exactly one (the victim being an Iraqi man in August 1888 – another fact I didn’t previously know). The real importance of asteroids (which is what they’re called when they’re observed in space) and meteorites (the debris that remains after falling to Earth) lies not in any supposed threat they pose, but in what they can teach us about the universe we live in. 

That’s why serious books on such topics are so important, if only as an antidote to tabloid hysteria. And if all you want is a short but fascinating and wide-ranging primer, then look no further than this book.

Hardback:   
Kindle 
Using these links earns us commission at no cost to you
These articles will always be free - but if you'd like to support our online work, consider buying a virtual coffee or taking out a membership:
Review by Andrew May - See all reviews and Brian's online articles or subscribe free here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mathematics with Love – Mary Stopes-Roe *****

Admittedly it’s early days (this review is written in January), but this, for me, is the surprise hit of the year so far! I approached this book with trepidation, but found it absolutely delightful. It is described on the cover as the “courtship correspondence of Barnes Wallis, inventor of the bouncing bomb”, and contains a series of letters between Wallis and his cousin and eventual wife Molly Bloxham, along with some useful annotation by their daughter, Mary. The courtship itself is not without difficulties, as Wallis was 18 years older than the 17-year-old Molly at the start of the correspondence, and her father, not surprisingly, wasn’t too pleased about the interest of such an elderly suitor, but that isn’t the only reason the letters are interesting – it’s also because of maths, and Wallis’s position in the UK as the engineering hero of the Second World War. (Incidentally, it seemed very strange to see letters addressed to “Barnes” – I had always assumed Barnes Wallis was a ...

Data Empire - Roopika Risam ****

The central thesis presented by Roopika Risam is that information gives us (and particularly countries) the power to organise, control and dominate others. Although I have a couple of issues with the presentation, this is a genuinely interesting trip through the history of our use of stored information from the earliest tallies to the latest information technology. I loved a quote from Lisa Gitelman that data is is always 'cooked' so 'raw data is an oxymoron'. This neatly underlines Risam's thesis that data and information are not neutral facts, but rather tools that (like everything from fire to electronics) can be used for good or evil. As we are taken through the historical context, it can sometimes be a little difficult to judge whether Risam regards a particular example as bad or good, even when the outcome is disastrous. One thing I didn't like too much is the adherence to a popular science writing approach that has got distinctly hackneyed: opening chapte...

Andrew Jaffe - Five way interview

Andrew Jaffe is professor of astrophysics and cosmology at Imperial College, London and director of the Imperial Centre for Inference and Cosmology. His new book is The Random Universe. Why science? I’ve always been interested in science, in particular in  astronomy, astrophysics, and space. One of my earliest memories - back in nursery school in New Jersey, I think - was watching one of the moon launches. I wanted that excitement to be part of my life! I never got to be an astronaut, but I did get to be part of the Planck Satellite team, and was privileged to be able to travel to the ESA Spaceport in French Guiana to watch the launch.  In between, I was lucky enough to have a supportive family, get a good education, and find inspiring teachers, mentors, and collaborators. They helped me model the universe, and helped me learn how to refine those models in the face of experimental and observational evidence. That is, they taught me to be a scientist. Why this book? The Random...