Skip to main content

Henry Gee - Four Way Interview

Henry Gee was born in London in 1962. He was educated at the universities of Leeds and Cambridge and has been an editor at the science journal Nature since 1987. As well as his latest title A (Very) Short History of Life on Earth, his books include The Accidental Species: Misunderstandings of Human Evolution; The Science of Middle-earth; Jacob’s Ladder: The History of the Human Genome, and Deep Time: Cladistics, the Revolution in Evolution. He has also written science fiction (The Sigil trilogy) and mystery (By The Sea). Sharp-eyed viewers will recognise him as the bloke sat next to the Rev Richard Coles on the 2019 Christmas series of University Challenge where, with other alumni of the University of Leeds, he won the series championship. He lives in Cromer, Norfolk, England, with his family and numerous pets.

Why science?

Most children go through a phase during which they know the names of at least ten dinosaurs before they are potty trained. I never really grew out of it (the dinosaur phase, that is, not the potty training). I’ve always been interested in the roots of things - how things got to be the way they are - and the infant Gee could be found in museums, usually the most obscure corners. Insatiable curiosity perhaps inevitably meant that this early fondness for museums became combined with journalism and writing, and directed me to Nature, where I have been a writer and editor for nearly 34 years. It’s the best job in the world. And, to be frank, nobody else would have me.

Why this book?

In the back of my mind for years I’ve had the idea to write the story of life on Earth, but the thought didn’t advance any further forward in my mind until a colleague at Nature, David Adam (The Man Who Couldn’t Stop; The Genius Within) suggested I write a book celebrating all the amazing fossil discoveries, news of which has passed across my desk at Nature. After all, as an editor there, and chief bone-botherer, I am in part responsible for the world knowing about such things as feathered dinosaurs; the ‘fishapod’ Tiktaalik, and Homo floresiensis, the incredible hobbit creature from Indonesia. 

What’s next?

After each book I swear I’ll never write another book. 

What’s exciting you at the moment?

Extinction - how it happens, what it means, and the fate of our own species. If I am going to write about human extinction, I should probably start now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Nobody Understands Quantum Physics - Frank Verstraete and Céline Broeckaert **

It's with a heavy heart that I have to say that I could not get on with this book. The structure is all over the place, while the content veers from childish remarks to unexplained jargon. Frank Versraete is a highly regarded physicist and knows what he’s talking about - but unfortunately, physics professors are not always the best people to explain physics to a general audience and, possibly contributed to by this being a translation, I thought this book simply doesn’t work. A small issue is that there are few historical inaccuracies, but that’s often the case when scientists write history of science, and that’s not the main part of the book so I would have overlooked it. As an example, we are told that Newton's apple story originated with Voltaire. Yet Newton himself mentioned the apple story to William Stukeley in 1726. He may have made it up - but he certainly originated it, not Voltaire. We are also told that ‘Galileo discovered the counterintuitive law behind a swinging o...

On Time - Jim Al-Khalili *****

By a small margin Jim Al-Khalili's The World According to Physics is my favourite of his books, both because the 'three pillars' concept at its heart works so well - but also because it's short. On Time is somewhat heavier, but thankfully not a wrist-buster. It might seem at first sight odd that a book on a subset of physics is considerably longer than one covering the whole thing, but time is one of those subjects that inevitably involves considerable complexities and needs depth. As Al-Khalili establishes, it's hard to think of any other scientific concept where our perception of it - what he refers to as manifest time or psychological time - is so different from the view from physics. Some physicists go so far as to suggest that time doesn't exist at all. In the book, Al-Khalili sets out (to my mind quite successfully) both to explain why they think this is the case, but also why it's not the best interpretation of time. I'd certainly note that I...

When Everyone Knows That Everyone Knows: Steven Pinker *****

In the past I've found Steven Pinker's books hypnotic - I drift along enjoying the words and feeling I'm getting something deep from it without anything much sinking in. This one was different - it was sometimes a little harder to get your head around the underlying concept, descending as it tends to into infinite regression, but overall I did feel I'd gained a lot.  Pinker's focus here is 'common knowledge' which is when not only do we both/all know something, but we know that the other(s) know as well and the implications this has for human interactions. One entertaining thing to emerge from this is the ability to get into infinite loops of the 'I know that you know that I know that...' variety. Although we aren't mentally equipped to deal with more than a handful of iterations, we are told that a simple but limited interaction like a text exchange strictly needs the full infinite set to be definitive. For example, if you and a friend are tryin...