Alex Davies is a technology journalist, author of Driven: The Race to Create the Autonomous Car, and a former editor at Wired, The Athletic, and Business Insider. He lives in New York's Hudson Valley. His latest book is How to Keep a Plane in the Sky.
Why engineering?
I'm not an engineer myself — I'm a journalist who's spent years covering people who are. What draws me to it is that engineering is where abstract values like 'safety' and 'trust' actually get made concrete. Someone has to decide, in specific numbers, how much force a car seat can take before it's a failure, or how many g's a human body can survive. Those decisions are usually invisible to the rest of us, but they're some of the most consequential ones our society makes.
I got hooked on writing about it because it's a way to write about risk, trust, and human judgment while staying grounded in real, physical stakes — a wing that either holds or doesn't, a test that either predicts reality or doesn't.
Why this book?
Over years as a technology reporter, I had the chance to write about how lots of different products were tested and developed. But in any given story, I didn’t have the space or freedom to write about testing as a broader concept. How it has changed over time, its unavoidable tensions, the people who make it work.
This book was an opportunity to do that — to combine the fun of the individual tests and stories with the connective tissue that shows the reader how this work actually underpins so much of modern life.
Do you think as driverless cars become more common they will present a particular test engineering issue?
A key hurdle for testing driverless cars is that it’s just really hard to know what’s going to stump the computer. Driving is a social and dynamic activity; unexpected closures or police or emergency activity or anything else calls for coordinating with other drivers and bits of improvisation. That’s really easy for humans, but typically difficult for robots and computers. Designing for and testing for those scenarios remains a real hurdle.
What’s next?
For me as an author, nothing on the immediate horizon. I’m currently focusing my mental energy and free time on raising/keeping up with my daughter, who’s about to turn one.
What’s exciting you at the moment?
I’m keenly interested by how quickly the conversation around AI is evolving, especially with regard to whether and how it should be reined in. I think testing will play a key role here, because simply stopping or slowing development won’t help much given how capable this technology already is. I’m fascinated to see how these companies, governments, and third party players combine (or don’t) to tackle it.
Image © Christie Hemm
These articles will always be free - but if you'd like to support my online work, consider buying a virtual coffee or taking out a membership:
Interview by Brian Clegg - See all Brian's online articles or subscribe to a weekly email free here

Comments
Post a Comment