Skip to main content

Revelation Space (SF) - Alastair Reynolds ***

Having recently been hugely impressed by Machine Vendetta, the closing part of Alastair Reynolds' Prefect Dreyfus trilogy, I was delighted to notice in its prelims that these books were set 'within the Revelation Space universe'. I rushed to get a copy of Revelation Space, the first of five novels I hadn't read - and I'm very pleased that I did. One of the interesting things about this book is seeing just how far Reynolds' writing has come on in the near quarter century between the novels.

What we get here is a future universe beautifully conceived with lots of crunchy detail. The science behind it is carefully thought through, and even though the scale of the technology can be overblown, it only feels like fantasy in the final few chapters. Reynolds gives us a complex but well set out plot line and though it's very much in the style where terms are thrown in and you've got go with the flow and work out what they are referring to over time, it never feels bewildering. There are ancient alien remains, political machinations, lots of AI and nanotech wizardry and, though this isn't military SF, enough use of large scale weaponry to satisfy those who like a bit of explosive action.

This sounds like it should be a five star book, and I feel a little mean only giving it three - but there were a couple of reasons that reflect, perhaps, a lack of maturity in Reynolds' writing at this point that made it far less satisfying than his later books. Firstly it's way too long. There's nothing wrong with a long space opera - it's a genre that fits well with the chunky book approach - but there were three separate points in reading  it where it felt like nothing much was progressing for 50 to 100 pages. I just wanted him to get on with things.

The other big issue for me was a lack of character identification. There are three main characters - each rather irritatingly introduced in initially separate interwoven timelines, some of them years apart. I was concerned that I would lose track as we jumped back and forward years, not just at the chapter level where the dates were stated, but also in interior sections without any indication of change of point in time. Even back then, Reynolds was skilled enough for this not to have proved a problem. But despite the three timelines coalescing I continued to find it difficult to feel connected. You might say that this reflects that those three main characters are interestingly written: each as positive and negative points rather than being pure heroes. But in the slow revelation of their motives and interactions, I found it difficult to care about any of them.

My not entirely positive feelings about Revelation Space do nothing to lessen my admiration of this author's books - and after some recovery time I will definitely be moving on to the second in the series. Reynolds is one of our best writers of intelligent space opera, and despite its limitations, Revelation Space remains gloriously imaginative.

Paperback:   
Kindle 
Using these links earns us commission at no cost to you
Review by Brian Clegg - See all Brian's online articles or subscribe to a weekly email free here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mathematics with Love – Mary Stopes-Roe *****

Admittedly it’s early days (this review is written in January), but this, for me, is the surprise hit of the year so far! I approached this book with trepidation, but found it absolutely delightful. It is described on the cover as the “courtship correspondence of Barnes Wallis, inventor of the bouncing bomb”, and contains a series of letters between Wallis and his cousin and eventual wife Molly Bloxham, along with some useful annotation by their daughter, Mary. The courtship itself is not without difficulties, as Wallis was 18 years older than the 17-year-old Molly at the start of the correspondence, and her father, not surprisingly, wasn’t too pleased about the interest of such an elderly suitor, but that isn’t the only reason the letters are interesting – it’s also because of maths, and Wallis’s position in the UK as the engineering hero of the Second World War. (Incidentally, it seemed very strange to see letters addressed to “Barnes” – I had always assumed Barnes Wallis was a ...

Data Empire - Roopika Risam ****

The central thesis presented by Roopika Risam is that information gives us (and particularly countries) the power to organise, control and dominate others. Although I have a couple of issues with the presentation, this is a genuinely interesting trip through the history of our use of stored information from the earliest tallies to the latest information technology. I loved a quote from Lisa Gitelman that data is is always 'cooked' so 'raw data is an oxymoron'. This neatly underlines Risam's thesis that data and information are not neutral facts, but rather tools that (like everything from fire to electronics) can be used for good or evil. As we are taken through the historical context, it can sometimes be a little difficult to judge whether Risam regards a particular example as bad or good, even when the outcome is disastrous. One thing I didn't like too much is the adherence to a popular science writing approach that has got distinctly hackneyed: opening chapte...

Andrew Jaffe - Five way interview

Andrew Jaffe is professor of astrophysics and cosmology at Imperial College, London and director of the Imperial Centre for Inference and Cosmology. His new book is The Random Universe. Why science? I’ve always been interested in science, in particular in  astronomy, astrophysics, and space. One of my earliest memories - back in nursery school in New Jersey, I think - was watching one of the moon launches. I wanted that excitement to be part of my life! I never got to be an astronaut, but I did get to be part of the Planck Satellite team, and was privileged to be able to travel to the ESA Spaceport in French Guiana to watch the launch.  In between, I was lucky enough to have a supportive family, get a good education, and find inspiring teachers, mentors, and collaborators. They helped me model the universe, and helped me learn how to refine those models in the face of experimental and observational evidence. That is, they taught me to be a scientist. Why this book? The Random...