Skip to main content

Jamie Mollart - Four Way Interview

Jamie Mollart runs his own advertising company, and has won awards for marketing. He has taught novel writing for Writing East Midlands and is a long standing guest on the influential writers podcast Litopia. Jamie is a member of the Climate Fiction Writers League, a group of global authors raising awareness about climate change through writing. 

His debut novel, The Zoo, was on the Amazon Rising Stars 2015 list and his latest novel is Kings of a Dead World.


Why science fiction?

For me it’s the story first and genre second. My first novel, The Zoo, was speculative fiction in a modern day setting because that was what the story called for. For Kings of a Dead World I wanted to explore ideas around the projected results of the self-destructive trajectory the human race is on, so it had to be set in the future. I also had to build a world structure that allowed me to play out the narrative and it wouldn’t have been possible to do that in a modern day setting. 

Science Fiction is a genre that has always been about big ideas. I love J. G. Ballard: he had this incredible ability to take a really strong single concept or idea and then explore it across a really thrilling narrative. He was the master of high concept and you can pretty much distill his books down into a single sentence and that’s unbelievably difficult to achieve. For example,  Concrete Island : a man crashes into a roundabout and finds a whole alternative society stuck there. 

Sci-fi also gives you this ability to discuss current societal concerns at an arm's length distance and that’s invaluable when you’re tackling something as unfathomable as climate change. More than anything though, it’s simply a genre that I’ve always enjoyed reading and so really wanted to write in it too.

Why this book?

Reading it in 2021, you could easily be forgiven for thinking it’s a response to the pandemic, but it’s not. I began working on it 5 years ago and it’s born from a set of personal fears and preoccupations. 

I work in advertising and have a concern that my industry is directly responsible for the rampant consumerism that is the root cause of our gallop towards climate disaster. I struggle personally to reconcile this and wanted to work through it. 

It also explores the idea of culpability, both on a personal level and a societal level, and the impact the individual can have on the collective whole. I wanted to build a world where it was possible for there to be no checks and balances, and then to see what people are capable of within that situation.

When I conceived of The Sleep it seemed as the most extreme possible way humanity could try to solve the problem in a dispassionately logical way - I was actually worried it would be too far fetched, but editing the book through 2020, when it seemed eerily prescient, I wondered whether I could have actually gone further.

What’s next?

A recurring theme in all of my work is toxic masculinity and the male friendship, so I’m going to tackle that head on. It’s a bit of a heady mix at the moment, encompassing the rise of the English nationalism in the run up to Brexit, the patriarchy, male tribalism and more. I'm hoping I can pull it all together into a coherent narrative! 

I’m a bit superstitious about books when they’re being written, so I don’t want to go into too much detail here.

There’s quite a lot bubbling away in my head at the moment at various stages including; a horror book; another sci-fi novel; and even a YA historical novel.

What’s exciting you at the moment?

I’ve a to-read list that’s about 5 feet off the floor at the moment, there seems to be so many good books coming out. I’m reading Who They Was by Gabriel Krauze at the moment and it’s incredible. It’s hard to talk about it without sounding like a newspaper headline, but it’s seriously intense and powerful writing. I’m looking forward to starting Aliya Whiteley’s Skyward Inn, Leave The World Behind, by Rumaan Alam, and Hot Stew by Fiona Mozley, but that hardly touches the pile! 

What I’m most excited about though, is that I’m booked into The Clockhouse at Arvon for a 4 day writing retreat at the end of July. It’s the most creatively productive place for me in the world and I normally visit twice a year to work on my latest novel, however Covid has meant I’ve not been for 2 years. I’m really looking forward to being able to spend 4 solid days working on my WIP.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Nobody Understands Quantum Physics - Frank Verstraete and Céline Broeckaert **

It's with a heavy heart that I have to say that I could not get on with this book. The structure is all over the place, while the content veers from childish remarks to unexplained jargon. Frank Versraete is a highly regarded physicist and knows what he’s talking about - but unfortunately, physics professors are not always the best people to explain physics to a general audience and, possibly contributed to by this being a translation, I thought this book simply doesn’t work. A small issue is that there are few historical inaccuracies, but that’s often the case when scientists write history of science, and that’s not the main part of the book so I would have overlooked it. As an example, we are told that Newton's apple story originated with Voltaire. Yet Newton himself mentioned the apple story to William Stukeley in 1726. He may have made it up - but he certainly originated it, not Voltaire. We are also told that ‘Galileo discovered the counterintuitive law behind a swinging o...

How to Keep a Plane in the Sky - Alex Davies ****

If there's one big gap in the science writing sphere, it's popular engineering (you can quibble over whether engineering is science, but where else would you put popular engineering?). Alex Davies does the field a real service with this insightful introduction to the world of test engineering. The concept is simple. If we build something and sell it, we need to test it to make sure that it won't fail in a way that's dangerous to the consumer. The most obvious example is airliners, which feature at some length, but this applies to everything from cuddly toys to hair straighteners: someone needs to predict what could go wrong and to put the product through its paces to see if it will survive under any reasonable circumstances. When Davies is telling a story of test engineering in action, the book is a delight. He opens with the way that real bears are used to test if bears can get into coolers and trash cans - and the impressive ways these animals can  circumvent human in...

On the Equality of All Things - Carlo Rovelli ****

There is a wide gulf between the worldviews of physicists and philosophers. Many physicists present a rather sweetly naive, child-like view of the world, where philosophers bring a distinctly more adult, cynical tone. This being the case, it can be a little worrying when a physicist dips a toe into the philosophical mire. Infamously, in The Grand Design , Stephen Hawking and co-author Leonard Mlodinow told us that philosophy was now dead because science could deal with anything it had previously been needed for. Thankfully, Carlo Rovelli is not trying to do away with philosophy, though it has to be said that when he veers into the topic that physicist's naivety can make it feel like the philosophising of an earnest eighteen-year-old. Take the opening paragraph, which tells us 'electrons and minds, stones and laws, judgements and galaxies do not essentially differ in nature from one another. They are notions that illuminate each other'. I almost expected a Pink Floyd soundtr...